Statement of Principles:
SMP Graphic Design & Printing Inc. (SMP) believes in the power of custom apparel and accessories to bring groups and communities together, and we want to help our customers create products with designs that are meaningful and unifying. Our customers have diverse viewpoints and perspectives, which are reflected in the designs they create, and we believe that we all must be tolerant of those with different views.
In rare cases, however, a design proposed by a customer may be offensive or threatening to others who see the design. In such cases, we use the following guidelines to balance our customers’ design goals with the standards and expectations of SMP the community and the public. When a design does not meet our Content Guidelines, we will make every effort to work with the customer to try to create an alternate design that complies with the guidelines below.
SMP’s Content Guidelines provide guidance for customers in designing custom products. Our Content Guidelines use a sliding scale from “no” to “go” to account for the range of potential designs, so we can work with customers to create a design that meets these standards. The descriptions under each category are not meant to be exhaustive, and the ultimate decision on whether or not to approve a design will always rest with SMP’s Content Guidelines team. SMP regularly reviews these policies and updates them as appropriate.
NO – SMP will not print designs that:
- Violate the intellectual property rights of others (See Intellectual Property Right Policy)
- Encourage violence or hatred against individuals or groups
- Attack, harass, or defame others based on race, religion, ethnicity, gender, disability, national origin, or sexual identity
- Include hate speech or symbols
- Promote, feature, or encourage the use of hard drugs
- Feature explicit sexual content or nudity of a non-artistic/health/medical nature
- Include sexually suggestive images or text involving children
- Promote, feature, or encourage underage drinking, smoking, or marijuana use
SLOW – SMP may not print or may require changes to designs that:
- Include crass vulgarity, lewd language, or swear words
- Feature less-explicit sexual content or nudity, including images of an artistic/health/medical nature
- Have an overtly sexually connotation or tone, including strong sexual innuendo
- Include violent events, terms, or images, such as historical images of violence
- May promote, feature or encourage illegal activity
- Advocate for one party in a pending legal dispute
- Might cause public anger or inspire violence
- Include other content that would be offensive to the SMP community
GO – SMP will print designs that:
- Use language and images appropriate for adults and children of all ages
- Create a sense of community and are not likely to offend individuals or groups
- Support intellectual property rights by using authorized images and content, including those owned or legally authorized to be used by the customer
- Intellectual Property Rights of SMP Graphic Design & Printing and Third Parties
- (SMP) is committed to the appropriate and legal use of the intellectual property of others, and we require our users to behave similarly. Unless otherwise noted, all materials, including images, illustrations, designs, icons, photographs and written and other materials that appear on the SMP Site (collectively the "Contents") are copyrights, trademarks, trade dress and/or other intellectual properties owned, controlled or licensed by SMP.
- SMP is the owner of the SMP trademark; other trademarks made available through this Site, including logos, slogans, color schemes and design trademarks, are licensed for use by SMP from Institutions and other third parties (the "Licensed Marks"). By using the SMP Site, you agree to limit your use of Licensed Marks to uses that are directly related to such third parties and to comply with any restrictions or conditions imposed on the use and access of the Licensed Marks by the third parties. SMP will notify you of such terms if your usage is in violation of such terms.
- Generally, products created using images available on the site should not be resold commercially. In the event that you wish to resell such products, you agree to contact SMP and verify the legality of reselling such products prior to doing so. Designs created using the text tools and images available through the site are in no way the exclusive property of the customers who assemble such designs. SMP retains the right to display such designs or offer them (or variations of such designs) to other customers.
- Additionally, SMP has the sole discretion to reject any order that it considers libelous, defamatory, obscene, profane (according to standards established by the FCC), portraying irresponsible use of alcohol or other substances, advocating persecution based on gender, age, race, religion, disability or national origin, containing explicit sexual content or is otherwise inappropriate for SMP production.
- You agree to not use SMP Service to create any material that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable, or that infringes on any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any third party.